Your path to excellence begins here
We offer an environment where graduates are given every opportunity and the means to reach their full potential through, for example:
- Well-structured in-house training and skills development programmes
- Real experience working with world-class companies on quality matters and transactions
- Opportunities to work and train in diverse teams of like-minded lawyers - some of the best in the world
- Access to the most up-to-date legal information resources, systems, documents, precedents and global best practices
- Professional skills development and access to a wealth of expertise, experience and knowledge from across the globe
- Regular evaluation to help you realise your potential and career goals
- Opportunities to forge meaningful relationships with your local community through voluntary and pro bono work as well as involvement in a variety of client events, graduate recruitment initiatives at universities as well as internal firm events (i.e. charity events, sports events and social activities in the office).
- We also offer an accredited in-house training programme for our law graduates in preparation for the admission exams. Lectures are presented by senior attorneys who are experts in their fields. We make past papers and memorandums available to all our law graduates. Our law graduates are also provided with sufficient study leave to prepare for the examinations.
Applicants are required to apply at least two years in advance of them completing their LLB.
January on an annual basis.
01 August 2023 to 31 August 2023
Rewards & benefits
Medical aid and provident fund
Daily free lunch
Regular performance reviews
Skills development programmes
Drafting of legal documents
Practice management sessions
We firmly believe that our law graduates’ will achieve the best level of experience and learning through exposure to different practice areas. For this reason, they are provided with the opportunity to rotate through different practice areas every six months. Our intention is to provide them with the practical experience for them to explore where their niche lies and gain wide ranging practical experience that will stand them in good stead wherever they may ultimately practice.
Your application roadmap
You'll come for the free lunches and stay for the culture. CDH is refining the image of commercial law firms and manages to feel very homey while maintaining its hard-earned reputation.Shameegh Allen, Senior Associate
How many Candidate Attorneys are you looking to recruit every year?
Annually the firm is looking to recruit approximately 30 Candidate Attorneys.
How many people apply each year, and of those, how many do you interview?
We receive thousands of applications on an annual basis, with approximately a third of the strong applicants progressing to the interview stage.
What is the process for deciding which practice area I will qualify into?
Our Candidate Attorneys are given the opportunity to rotate into different practice areas every six months. Practice areas allocations are guided by our Candidate Attorneys wish list of areas they wish to be exposed to as well as operational needs of the firm.
How do I follow up on my application?
For any queries related to your application please email us at email@example.com.
How long with am I required to complete my articles if I have already completed PLT?
A Candidate Attorney who has completed their Practical Legal Training and has successfully completed their Board exams prior to their commencement of Practical Vocational Training are eligible to serve one-year of PVT in order to submit an application to the High Court for admission, however the Candidate Attorney is obliged to honour the two-year contract with the firm.
Where can I find information on ceding of PVT?
For more information on ceding of articles please visit www.lpc.org.za.
More to explore
A message from our chairperson, Tim Fletcher
Tim Fletcher describes the culture of CDH and outlines key tips for new Candidate Attorneys.
Tips on preparing for your interview
This article covers tips on preparing for your interview, what to expect, how to prepare, as well as general do's and don'ts.
Online guide for law students
Need a guide to help you navigate the application process? From writing a motivation letter, structuring your CV to preparing for the all-important interview, this is your passport to figuring it all out.
What Directors expect from their juniors
Chairperson, Tim Fletcher and CDH Partner Njeri Wagacha speak to Graduate Programme Manager, Boipelo Mathodlana.
Funding your studies to expand your opportunities
In this Graduate Matters Edition, Boipelo Mathodlana, Malebo Maholo, Priscilla Brandt, Liso Zenani, and Luyolo Mfithi discussion on funding studies to expand opportunities.
Balancing the scale of gender in dispute resolution and the legal sector
In episode two of our CDH Women in Law podcast series we speak with Lucinde Rhoodie, a Director in our Dispute Resolution practice. Lucinde delves into balancing the scale of gender in dispute resolution and the legal industry.
Women empowerment through impact litigation
Our Pro Bono and Human Rights practice Director Brigitta Mangale and Senior Associate Elgene Roos join CDH Conversations to discuss the role of impact litigation in enforcing and protecting the rights of women in South Africa.
Agency, commitment, and impact
This podcast discusses the value of human rights and why it is important for organisations and members of society as agents for social change to promote and protect our human rights through active citizenry and contributing to social empowerment initiatives.